Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

1976 Montesa COTA 348. Good condition. Bought from a man who…

Customer Question
1976 Montesa COTA 348...

1976 Montesa COTA 348. Good condition. Bought from a man who never rode it. It has set for 1-2 years. Received it and before I tried to start it disassembled carborator and it looked very good. Must of had fuel drained or run out because carb needed very little cleaning. I have riden it 4 times now. Last two times was for a bit of time, maybe 3 each 15 minute rides and bike just quits for no reason while running and performing well then will not start until plug is removed and cleaned. Only noticable issue is smoking at 50:1 fuel ratio with high quality synthetic 2 stroke oil. Checked at plug and is firing. It quit like this twic and restarted twice. Did it again and will not start. Good engine compression.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I do not know enough about how much gas it uses to know if the fuel consumption has changed. It wont start now. but typically started on first or second kick while it was running.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '76 motorcycle?

Montesa 348 COTA trials bike.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am working on it myself. Havent you read what I just wrote? That is all I've done since I bought it. I have 7 bikes with 30+ yrs experience myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am running non-alcohol fuel.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/12/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics based on "...will not start until plug is removed and cleaned...". Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • clean the bottom of the crankcase;
  • • clean/de-carbon the exhaust system.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.