Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

1997 Sportster 883 right turn signal out, front and rear,

Customer Question

1997 Sportster 883 right turn signal out, front and rear
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Well, I have the technical manual, but I'm not sure where the fuse or module is!
JA: What is the model of your '97 motorcycle?
Customer: 883 hugger
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I replaced the bulb, but nothing. I noticed the wire had rubbed the rear tire. Covering is damaged, but not copper wiring itself. Left signal and brake lights work
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

if you you have a Clymer manual, it's trash. (everything HD prints is copyrighted, which means nothing Clymer prints can even approximate the HD factory manual or the information contained therein.)

if you have the HD factory manual, it shows where the module is and how to troubleshoot it.

it's under the seat.

right turn signals are brown wires. white/brown is input from switch. check for 12v when depressed.

if it's there, check for pulsing 12v on brown wires. brown wire splits and goes to front and rear signals.

if you rubbed the wiring in the rear fender, you need to make sure it's all good. that usually happens after people lower the rear or install an oversized tire. if that was done, it needs to be undone and returned to stock for best results.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve