Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Midrange and high speed misfire changed plug fuel and air…

Customer Question
Midrange and high speed...

Midrange and high speed misfire changed plug fuel and air filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Starts exellent fuel consumption seems normal

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2009 polaris 500 ho wih 1600 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have changed the plug fuel and air filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It seems to work sastisfactory for app 2 to5 minutes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd suggest to remove the top of the carb and inspect the level of fuel in the float bowl

as it should be about 2/3rds full

if its too full it will flood the carb and stall the engine, if its too low then the engine will be starved of fuel

you can adjust the level by bending the tab on the back of the float where it rests on the needle valve that controls the fuel coming into the carb

If this is OK then I'd next remove the carb entirely and use compressed air or an aerosol of carb cleaner to blast through each of the jets and the air circuit as if they are even slightly blocked it will alter the air / fuel mixture

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you