Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 2008 sv650 with ABS. When I bleed the brakes and

Hello, I have a 2008...
Hello, I have a 2008 sv650 with ABS. When I bleed the brakes and replace the brake fluid, do I need to cycle the ABS? I have heard that leaving old fluid in the ABS can keep moisture in he system, degrading it, and that component is very expensive. If I do need to cycle the ABS, is there a dealership tool I can connect to trigger it electronically?Thanks,Andrew
9/10/2017
john
john, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

a high end scan tool would be required to cycle the abs...i pump the master empty refill it with fresh fluid and pull all 4 bleeders and let them drip till all the fluid is fresh keeping the master topped off during the process.. It does a good job and thats all you should have to do

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

Hey John,Thanks for answering my question. Do you know if a Suzuki dealer would cycle the ABS, or if there's any chance of damage by not cycling it? It's not in my Haynes manual. Is there any way to find the model of ABS on the 08 sv650 and see if it has an extra reservoir?Sorry about the extra questions, but if there's any chance of long term damage that taking it to a dealership would mitigate, I'd like to know.-Andrew

well did it bleed? yes a suzuki dealer can handle it and i do not think it will harm anything

Yea, I trust the dealer to do it without any harm. My real question is, do you know what the dealer will do to it? Is there a Suzuki manual that I cannot find that details exactly how to flush the 2008 SV650 ABS system, and whether it requires activating the ABS or not? I know a lot of people bleed it normally, but I've also heard of that causing problems in the long term in some ABS models. I'd just like a concrete "yes" or "no" from some official source, maybe a Suzuki dealer manual or tech.

the abs pump gets commanded with a scan tool inorder to cycle it for a complete flush..Usually they charge one to 2 hours labor to do this

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
Thank You
John S

john
john, ASE Certified Technician
john
john
john, ASE Certified Technician