Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I think I have something wrong with either the start switch…

Customer Question
I think I have...

I think I have something wrong with either the start switch or the off/run button

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is fully charged, brand new battery,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2001 voyager XII

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took the on/off switch apart and shorted out the terminals, I have radio but when i hit the start button, i get nothing, not even a click

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Um, no

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/10/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • attempt to start again with the clutch lever pulled in and the side stand folded up;
  • • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Why was I charged $33.00? It said $5.00. Will this be a recurring fee?

Hi again,

Sorry, but my participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues as well as related information.
Billings & payments concerns including membership/subscription are best addressed by Customer Support.

Thank you

Hi again,

Is further information / assistance still needed with the Voyager?