kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Experience in Harley Davidson and Triumph
68360881

I have a 1978 honda 400tII i set the timing the t on the

Customer Question

hi i have a 1978 honda 400tII i set the timing the t on the rotor and the line on the timing chain sproket never align the bike start but i dont get high rpm
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any change in your gas mileage lately?
Customer: its a bike well its an old bike it was my grandfathers only him rode for a short while and its been in a garage for 32 years i took it and rebuild it everthing is fine but the timing dont whant to alight
JA: What is the model of your '78 Honda?
Customer: yes 78 honda twin 400t
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive change the cdi new carburetor new piston and piston ring new valve spring and valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it just cant get the t and the mark on the sproket to align and its response above 6000 rpm is low
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ive been waiting for an answer for a week now ive paid 29 us and still have,t got any answer please advice
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, have you tried loosening the tensioner the aligning the cam mark?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have but it never align
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the t and the mark on the sproket dot aligne

OK, are you having an issue where if you manually move the cam it's springing back?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it does

Thanks, ***** ***** will need to do is start the chain on the crank pulley pull it tight and put it on the cam while lined up by holding the cam then run the chain over to the tensioner side then apply the tensioner spring.

A lot of times there's two flats on the cams where you can put a wrench to hold it. If not you may need to use a small pipe wrench.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok ive tried that it still the same the chain wont fit if both the sproket and the t is align its always advance by one tooth so the ,ark never align

If it's advancing when the tensioner is applied you need to align it one tooth backwards.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
hi ive tried what you told me still the same i canot get the timing to alight ive attached pick to show you how it is
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 28 days ago.

In the picture it looks left of the T if you rock it back do the cam marks get any more level?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
no it stay the same

Thanks, ***** ***** chain new?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
no its the original chain
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 27 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** chain wear is the biggest issue here. You should have immediate movement when turning the crank back to the T mark.