Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

What is the resistance measurement of the coil 31647-97

What is the resistance...

What is the resistance measurement of the coil 31647-97 ignition coil pri and sec if it is good?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

The batt is good 12v

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 motorcycle?

The bike is a 2001 Bourget low blow but the coil is Harley part number above...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked the ign module and found to be working properly, checked the plugs, checked the wires, the engine turns over and fuel is delivered as supposed to be

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's a crane cams hi-4....

8/17/2017
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic

Hello, on the primary side it should be 2.5 to 3.1 ohms and on the secondary 10,000-12,500 ohms

kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic
a measurement of 15k ohms is considered open? And therefore bad?

15,000 is out of spec, not open but too high.

Great, was worried that a suitable, $200 replacement would do the trick or not thanks!

You're welcome, it sounds like you've covered all the other bases. Make sure you have power on the + side of the coil with key on and while starting as well. Spyke makes a really affordable 80,000 volt coil that should work in this application

There is power but on both poles... that bad?

Both poles will have power, the job of the module is to ground the - side which causes the primary side to collapse and the high voltage to come out of the secondary side of the coil and fire the plugs.

Makes perfect sense, thanks again and you learned me stuff today haha!

Glad I could help, it's been my pleasure!

Hello again, well a new coil was not the answer unless you can tell me if a stock 40Kv and 3.3 ohms on the primary is incompatible with the crane cams fireball hi-4 ignition module?

Crane calls for a 3 ohm coil on that but .3 shouldn't make a huge difference here. You said in your opening quest you had checked the module, did you follow the info below from crane?

1. Check that timing LED lights up when ignition key is first turned on. If not, check for +12 volts on red wire from HI-4.

2. Check that timing LED blinks while engine is cranked. If not, HI-4 may be defective.

3. If the timing LED blinks, but engine will not start, recheck all wire harness connections or replace coil(s).

4. Check for low voltage from a faulty or marginal charging system and battery.

The timing light comes on and blinks when it's supposed to so my search of the wiring continues

OK , then it is firing the coil.

kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, Motorcycle Mechanic