Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My 2003 Road Kings Directional lights only work on one side

Customer Question

My 2003 Road Kings Directional lights only work on one side and the brake lights do not work. I pulled the directional light and found one burned out. If I replace the bulb will it restore my break lights? I hear the relay click when I turn on the directionals, should I get another relay and plug it in?
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: No I have not and I have it serviced every year at the dealer.
JA: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?
Customer: 2003 Road King Ann edition.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cycled the ingnition switch on and off and put some contact cleaner in. Checked all the fuses and the bulbs
JA: Anything else you want Steve (Master Motorcycle Mechanic with 30 years experience and nearly 7,000 5-star reviews) to know about your motorcycle before I connect you?
Customer: It looks to me that it might be the relay under the seat but I am not sure. I have not done any continuity checks but it looks like it might be that. I wanted to get a little assurance before I went and purchased a relay.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • replace the burned out bulb;
  • • check / clean the lamp housing/socket particular the body;
  • • check and ensure that the black wire is tied to a good ground;
  • • even if just for test purposes, hardwire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to this black wire;
  • • or better yet to the socket body of the tail/brake light.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Replaced burned bulb and both turn signals work now. With engine off and bike switched on no break lights. Would you suggest a new module?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

No brake light when engaging either/both the front brake lever /foot brake pedal?

Checking for clicking sound when engaging the brakes.

Offhand, I would still suspect the brake light wire and/or its connector.