Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

New noise when starting hd 2010 road glide. It still starts

Customer Question

New noise when starting hd 2010 road glide. It still starts and runs fine, just takes longer and kind of a long drawn out turning over and seems to turn over a bit slower than it was. It has a new battery and good connections. wondering what this might be telling me? Can you help me troubleshoot this?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an issue with the starter itself.If the starter has an internal mechanical fault or an issue with it drawing to much power this will cause this fault here as well as the noise you hear.I would have the starter checked/tested to see if it needs replaced as I suspect it does.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you tell me if changing the starter on one of these is a job a shadetree mech can do? I do most of my auto work unless it requres special tools. I have not done much work on this bike, have had bikes all my life but this one is a bit different than a dirt bike. thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also, if you think this is something I can do where would you suggest I buy one, any advice is appreciated.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately my info does not show how this starter is replaced to post here if it can be done by you.In some cases a special tool may be needed or components may need moved out of the way to then access and replace it.It may be best to have a repair facility test to make sure this is the cause as well as replace it if needed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
steps to replace the starter is what I need Pete. I will submit another question.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete