Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

This is cool....i have an issue...i think i know what it…

Customer Question
Hi...this is cool....i have...

Hi...this is cool....i have an issue...i think i know what it is.....my bike is a 78 honda cb 750 f.....its runs ok for a bit till the solinoids cant keep up then it starts cutting out and loosing power .....it will kick every few seconds and the it loses power....i just think its something to do with the charging system or the stater....i have a weak spark on the 2 n 3 points....thought it was the condenser but i changed tht and its still weak.....the bike has 51000 on it so it could be the ignition solinoid for 2 n 3......what do you think........i gotta step out for a bit......but this site is getting book marked.....ill leave this window up....thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Fluctuates..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750 yourself? What have you tried so far?

New points and condensers.....it runs fine when i first start it then after a few minutes of load it starts to lose power on and off....i just tryed it again in the driveway after not riding for a bit and its snappy...lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Like i said ....i have to step out....but ill come back shortly.....thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
any conclusions yet?
waiting.....waiting....lol
8/3/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: brian winther,
 replied 8 months ago
brian winther
Sounds to me like a possible fuel symptom. Does this bike have a fuel pump or filter? These old bikes tend to rust in the tank. Then clog up the filter. It will run good for a few minutes then start starving for gas.
it has a filter....ill check it....it kinda makes sense... i ride for a bit then it seems to cut in and out...hmmm..
i checked the filter and removed a kink in the fuel line ...didnt fix it.....so i was messing around with the condensers...i swapped them and the bike ran awesome for about ten minutes then it started doing the same thing.....2n3 was weak so i swapped condensers and then 1n4 points were weak....so i think i have a f**ked condenser and maybe a solinoid that cant keep up....im sure i figured it out....what happens when the ignition coil starts to go
Motorcycle Mechanic: brian winther,
 replied 8 months ago
Ignition coil failure can be sporadic, backfiring and bogging but if your condenser issue moved when you swapped them I would lean towards that
brian winther
brian winther
brian winther