Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Took apart my 2003 ElectraGlide to get it painted. Got

Customer Question
Took apart my 2003...

Took apart my 2003 ElectraGlide to get it painted. Got assembly almost done, all wiring connected and ignition switch installed but now there is no power to the radio or the start button. Turning the ignition switch to the ignition position I get all of the appropriate lights. Check engine light comes on and goes off, fuel pump comes on. Dash lights all come on, but nothing at the radio and when I hit the start button, nothing happens.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 motorcycle?

Electra Glide

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Me and a friend. verified all wiring is connected. nothing else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
7/31/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

- do your turn signals flash when you try to start the engine?

- do you have a security FOB?

it sounds like your security system is armed.

Steve

I have no security fob and am not aware of any security system remaining on the bike. Front fairing is off, and rear lights not yet wired so i cant tell if signals would flash. Dash lights for signals do not flash.

when everything gets deenergized for an extended period the ecm and tsm lose their memory.

try performing a "password *****". you can find it on the internet. ensure to have a battery charger connected to the battery. the procedure takes about 1/2 hour with the ignition on. if ti doesn't take, do it again. every step must be performed within a specific time frame and in the correct order.

Steve

I will try this process this evening. Thank you.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve

One last question. Would the problem you identified keep power from the radio?

no. you have either miswired the radio or blown the fuses.

Steve

There is only one plug into the stereo and it only goes in one way, so mis-wiring is not possible. Checked fuses and they are in tact. Tried the password ***** process twice last night and got nothing.

- if the stereo is wired correctly (I am aware there is one plug and it only goes one way, but there are wires associated with the plug and harness that can get pinched, broken or pulled free) and the fuses are intact, then the stereo will function. I have never seen one fail while setting on the bench deenergized.

- if you are sure you performed the password ***** flawlessly, you will need to take the bike to Harley to have the security system reset and have your FOB re-assigned.

only a dealer can assign a FOB.

Steve

let me know if you need more help. if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING. thank you, Steve