Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I have a 1999 Breeze when cold the starter works great when…

Customer Question
I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 Breeze when cold the starter works great when the engine is warm the starter spins but does not engage, I replaced the starter but the same thing happens. Any ideas. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

There is a single click when the starter spins but it doesn't seem like it is engaging the flywheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Breeze yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have worked on my own vehicles for years but this is the first time I have seen this particular issue. I took the old starter out and bench tested it before ordering a different one, but they both do the same thing. Must be the heat of the engine affecting it somehow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I can think of right now thanks

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
7/30/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Is this a Plymouth Breeze? What engine do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, it is a 1999 Yamaha Breeze 125 ATV

Ok. I think you will have one of the cables from the battery that is a bad connection. You should disconnect and clean the ground connection at the engine and battery. If your battery is getting weak after running for a while then you may have a bad charging stator. Is your battery staying above 12 volts after running for a while?

If the starter is not getting enough voltage above 11.5 then it will not have enough power to engage and spin motor all the way and may just spin. This can be from bad cable or connections or weak battery.

If you have a volt meter i can help you find the problem on one of the cables?

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The problem is not electrical, the starter drives a ring gear, the ring gear drives some sort of centrifigal clutch that turns the motor to start it. There is an issue in that clutch, when the oil is warm, that prevents it from engaging. I thought perhaps there was an inside trick to free up what is sticking in that mechanism.

No trick to fix it. It would need to be replaced since it come as a unit.