Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

VEspa LX 150 won't start. Clogged fuel injectors? How can I

Customer Question

VEspa LX 150 won't start. Clogged fuel injectors? How can I tell?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It doesn't start
JA: What year is your LX?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your LX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Thus far I have just siphoned out old fuel and put in fresh
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It had been sitting for a year. Fuel had been treated with seafoam, but...
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than the above; "...siphoned out old fuel and put in fresh..."?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also removed, checked and re-installed the spark plug. It looked OK.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Have you considered / tried?

• attempt to start again;
  • remove the spark plug;
  • check if it got wet with fuel;
  • cautiously perform a spark test;
  • attempt to start again with still no spark plug;
  • if able, cover the spark plug hole with a finger while cranking;
  • determine if there is fuel at the spark plug hole;
  • note fuel quality here;
  • crank a number of times (still with no spark plug);
  • clean or better yet, replace the spark plug;
  • install the spark plug;
  • attempt to start again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is difficult to get the spark plug in/out on these scooters. I guess I can try to see if any fuel is getting to the plug in the cylinder.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand and yes please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. I removed spark plug again. Put my finger over the plug socket and cranked. When I removed my finger, it didn't have fuel on it. But I could smell gasoline in the area under the Vespa seat. I took a wire and spark tested the spark plug cap to a screw on the engine. There was plenty of spark when I cranked the engine. So, I guess I will buy a new plug and see if that helps. CR7EB or equivalent. I didn't see any guidance on gapping the plug for the Vespa. Do you know what it should be?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Try 0.5 ~ 0.6 mm

Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Also check the fuel lines/hoses for possible leaks or even cracks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The new spark plug did not help. I do not see any leaks or cracks in the fuel lines. But I believe it is not getting fuel. I see no sign of any residue on the brand new spark plug after cranking the engine multiple times. What od you suggest for figuring out where the fuel flow problem is?
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

If able, remove the air box and filter. In its place cover the air entry with the palm of your hand. Attempt to start. Check if there is strong suction and if your palm would get wet with fuel.

Check/clean the injector.

Perhaps the video HERE may provide insight.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Louie,I am busy with work this week. But I will get back to fixing the Vespa tomorrow. I needed to get some parts to rig up something to clean out the fuel injector. I think that is likely where the problem still lies. I will let you know how that goes and if I then have any more questions for you.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Yes please and would look forward to an update when conveniently able.