Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

I tried to remove the heel shifter arm on a 2015 fatboy and…

Customer Question
I tried to remove...

I tried to remove the heel shifter arm on a 2015 fatboy and replace a simple space from Kuryakyn. Now my bike wont find neutral and only has 4 gears

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is 2 years old, like the bike, only 9,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Space?

My space?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Space yourself? What have you tried so far?

What space are you talking about?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just to clarify. tried to remove heel shifter on 2015 fatboy and replace Kuryakyn shifter eliminator spacer. Install went smooth but now i cant find neutral and the bike only has 4 gears (not 6) It shifts fine but not all the gears were there. I tried to put it back to the original and still the same problem.
7/30/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

removing the heel shifter has no affect on the shift mechanism.

whatever you did, I would recommend you undo it.

that said, inability to find neutral is most often caused by a misadjusted clutch, which again, has nothing to do with removing the heel shifter.

your bike still has 6 gears, but again, removing a heel shifter can't change that. if you undo whatever you did, normal shifting should return.

I have no other advice because, and I can't say this enough, simply removing the heel shifter cannot cause any of the problem you are experiencing, so I must assume there is more to this and you are not telling me the whole story.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i rode it right before i did this and went through all 6 years no problem. it was only after i removed this that the problem occured. I tried to undo it and no luck. same problem when it the original heel shift goes back on

whatever you did caused this problem.

based on what you were trying to do, I don't see how it's possible. I can't imagine. I've performed this task and know from personal experience what you say you were doing cannot,in itself, cause what you say is happening.

you should get the bike to competent mechanic to correct your mistakes.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 11 months ago
let me know if you need more help. if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING. thank you, Steve