Motorcycle

Motorcycle questions? Ask a mechanic.

Have a fat boy and when i go to start it i can not hear the…

Customer Question
Have a fat boy...

Have a fat boy and when i go to start it i can not hear the fuel pump running Have checked the fuel pump fuse and it is all good including the voltage Bike has not been used for a while however it has a new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No brand new replaced it today

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2009 FLSE08 Fat Boy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced battery changed fuel and connected it to car to help with the start. Checked fuse for pump all good do not hear the pump sound on start

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
7/29/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

- check for diagnostic codes.

1- Turn ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 11 months ago
let me know if you need more help. if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING. thank you, Steve