Chase Capicotti
Chase Capicotti,
Experience:  Co-Owner / Service Manager at Advanced Motorcycle Performance
99103470

Are you familiar with a 1979 Yamaha XS1100

Customer Question

Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  kwiggins29059 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, what kind of issue are you having with your XS?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It runs on #2 and #3 cylinders but not on 1 and 4. The coil for 1 and 4 was replaced with a used one, but both coils test the same on primary and secondary resistance. the wiring has been checked and all connections cleaned greased with dialectric grease. The mechanical advance was inspected and serviced. the vacumn advance needs replaced. the exciter coils test the same as each other. the pickups were cleaned as well as the fin. The only thing left is the TCI box. I don't have any specs on testing that. My Clymer manual says take it to your Yamaha dealer. My Yamaha dealer is 50 miles away and everyone working there was not even agleam in their fathers eye when that bike was built. Do you have access to this information for me? Is there any other thing that I might be missing. I don't believe the vacumn advance will affect this problem. All grounds were cleaned and reinstalled with star washers. Tom

I agree testing the tci is next. Unfortunately I do not have the test procedures, I will open this back up to other experts.

Expert:  Chase Capicotti replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, Unfortunately replacing the TCI is the best way to test it. I suggest finding one on eBay or similar.