Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Question about my 2006 Honda TRX450ER...the atv ran fine

Customer Question

Question about my 2006 Honda TRX450ER...the atv ran fine this past fall. It sat in the garage all winter and I believe I tried to start it once or twice and couldn't get it started. I figured the gas was old and the carb was probably gunked up. So I just decided to wait til the spring when I'd clean the carb and put brand new gas in it. So we did just that...emptied the tank and put new gas in, fixed the gas shut off valve that was broke, and cleaned out the carb. It still wouldn't start. Checked the spark plug and it wasn't sparking well, so I bought a new spark plug and it was back sparking like it should. Through all this it seemed like the starter was beginning to get week and miss some (wasn't sounding right). It did start up once after I changed the spark plug but then i couldn't get it to start after that. So I checked the battery to see if that was the problem and the auto parts store checked the battery and said the battery needed to be replaced. I replaced the battery and still no difference in the starter...is the after market starter possibly a problem? Hope this paints a good pic for you.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, how old is the "...after market starter..." ?

And why was the starter replaced before?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Brand new. I bought it and put it right on the bike. I took the original one off and put the after market one on bc the original starter was not turning over and I was worried I burnt the starter up trying to start it so much
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

I understand.

Still, let's try check and review the basics for the starter issue. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines to the harness, frame & engine, and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;
  • • locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay/solenoid;
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay. Expect a big spark. Starter motor should turn;
  • • if yes, but the starter relay still only clicks (or no click) when attempting to start, then the starter relay is likely faulty and/or the circuitry attendant to it;
  • • if not, then the starter motor and/or battery-cables would be the suspect.

With this Honda and even if just for test purposes, hardwaire a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the engine/starter bolt, to the fram and to the harness green wire(s).

Also consider:

• remove the air box and filter;
  • attempt to start with your palm covering the carb mouth;
  • determine if there is strong suction;
  • and if your palm would get et with fuel.