Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My rear running lights don't work and no turn signals work.

Customer Question
My rear running lights don't...
My rear running lights don't work and no turn signals work
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Yes. The front running lights work
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2001 Suzuki gz250
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bulbs are good.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I replaced the switch consule and harness on the handle bars
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Motorcycle
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The front running lights work. The tail running lights don't. None of the turn signals work.However, the brake light and main running light works.I replaced the switch controller on the handle bar, along with the related wiring harness
Hello????I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting ripped off
7/25/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Wayne S.
Wayne S., Motorcycle Mechanic

You will not be charged unless you are satisfied with the answers you receive. The rear running lights are on the same circuit as the front so it sounds like either a broken wire or your rear lights are not grounded.

The signals are a different issue. The problem there is likely the signal flasher or a blown fuse. I will check the wiring schematic and send more info if needed. The ground is usually the black/white wires.

Signal flasher relay is under the front seat. It should send voltage to the signal switch on a light blue wire if functioning.

If the front running lights are on the same circuit as the rears, how come the fronts work when the rears don't?And if it's a broken wire for the rears, wouldn't one of them work?

It could be a broken ground wire or somewhere the two rear lights wiring is broken on the way through to the front. You may have to try grounding them and then trace the wires toward the front.

Check your tail light fuse with a test light or multimeter

on both sides of the fuse to make sure it is not faulty.

I will. I'll try to light the rear lights with a battery also.And the flasher relay is under the seat?

yes, under the seat and under some tray or such.

The flasher is part of the side stand relay box as well.

Yes, apply power to the lights directly.

Then see if there is power on any wires with key on.

Check fuses both sides of the fuse, is your tail light out as well?

--

No. The tail light and break light are fine.

Okay, then your running lights are on a different circuit from the tail light. That means they are on a different fuse or have broken

common wire like the ground possibly. Broken wires are more commonly found around the steering head area.

This might be possible since your front lights are working.

I will try to examine some wiring diagrams for more details.

---

Are you sure you had running lights on the rear before?

Sometimes only the front has running light functions.

No. The rear running lights have never worked for me. I just assumed they were malfunctioning.Maybe the only thing wrong is the flasher relay???

ohhh, yes, it may not have any running lights on the rear then.

Yes, your relay may be the only problem then.

Look under the seat and luggage box thing.

Is there any way to test if the flasher relay is working?

It should be making some clicking sounds but disconnect it and

look for a light blue wire. That should be the wire that

sends power to the signal switch from the flasher.

If you apply battery juice to that wire, the signal

switch should work but the lights will not flash.

If the signals come on then likely the flasher box is faulty.

Make sure the plug on the flasher box has power

coming into it as well. The key will have to be on to

check the plug for voltage.

Let me know if this is confusing haha

I'm pretty ignorant about electricity.I do have a decent multimeter though....

Basically we just want to make sure the signals are working by applying voltage to the light blue wire from the flasher.

This is the wire the flasher uses to make the lights flash.

Swapping the box is the easiest way to test the flasher unit itself.

Most likely it is faulty if all the signals are out.

--

Well....I've never heard any clicking when I try the signals...Maybe I should just replace the unit? I see one available for $22
I just ordered a new relay. I bet that's it

yes, i would guess the relay is faulty since all the signals are out.

If it was just one side then it might be the signal switch.

A new flasher should correct the problem.

--

Wayne! You been awesome. Helped me understand and narrow it down. Even if the flasher isn't the answer...though I'm confident it is....you've worked late into the night to help me and I appreciate it

Thank you for your patience as well. It can be frustrating and confusing to track down bike problems. I am reasonably confident the flasher will help. You can always come back anyway. Thanks

Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic