Kenny O.
Kenny O., Motorcycle, ATV, Mules, Side by Side's Product Specialist. All Brands
Experience:  Worked for Kawasaki Motors as a Product Support Specialist (Factory Support) for 24 years
30381042

I've got a Yamaha V-Star 1300, 2007. It has been in my

Customer Question

Hi, I've got a Yamaha V-Star 1300, 2007. It has been in my garage for about 6 months, started occasionally in that time and trickle charged to maintain the battery. Today I changed the oil/oil filter, added fuel and then drove for about 2 miles. The bike hesitated a lot when throttled up so had to limp back to the house in first gear at low speed. After about 10 minutes I tried starting again and the motor ran with a very loud clicking noise. After about 2 hours I tried starting again and got a very loud clank after the engine caught and then it stalled a couple seconds later. Any ideas what this might be?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Engine.. Just started a few hours ago
JA: What is the model of your '07 motorcycle?
Customer: Yamaha V-Star
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe fixing myself but not sure. Haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

Do you still need help on this and if so have you tried anything as of yet?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My name is Jason. Haven't tried anything yet and still need help. One step i was going to try was draining fuel, lines, etc. Putting in New fuel
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks Jason, not sure on the clanking noise but that can just be likely that one cylinder is misfiring and creating an uneven balance.

It sounds like you have some dirty carbs (varnished up fuel) from sitting, if its not really bad you can try an additive first, go to Home Depot and in the lawn mower section (accessories) you'll find an additive called "Mechanic in a Bottle" grab a few bottles of that and mix it to the instructions on the bottle, go a little bit richer if you can, to much will not hurt.

And run that, you will know if that is going to help as the engine will run better with each day passing, I have found this additive to be truly effective on marginal dirty carbs, if they are really bad inside then you will likely need them pulled and professionally cleaned.

Like I said I have had really good luck with this additive and positive results, usually take about a week for it to do its job.

Let me know if this helps or you have further questions,

Thanks Jason

Kenny

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll take a look. I think the bike is fuel injected though... same advice?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Let me look that up, I might have looked at the wrong year manual, it is a 2007 ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2007 xvs1300
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

OK, sorry about that I grabbed the wrong service manual, go ahead and grab a bottle of that anyway and run it through the engine. I'm not a advocate for additives but that additive works, what works well about it, is the efficiency to dissolve stale fuel, so if you have any of that going on it can have an effect on that also.

Next and this one I use as a maintenance on all my road bikes that are injected. Local autoparts store (O'Reillys), Chevron makes the BEST injector cleaner called Techron, Yamaha at one point marketed it under their name called "Ring Free" not only is it great on the fuel system but also will de-carbonize your engine and keeps the piston rings from build up.

The fuel injection systems are more forgiving and really require less maintenance then the carbureted models, however with fuel having a shorter shelf life and it gets worse its seems every year, its become more prevalent as we speak.

So I would try my two suggestions first and go from there, after you run these additives through and notice a difference, it wouldn't be a bad Idea at that time to go ahead and change the spark plugs to a fresh set.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thx... Will give it a shot
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks Jason, let me know how it goes !

Kenny

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey kenny... drained fuel from system at the pump... lowest spot in the system. Added mechanic in a bottle, pulled spark plugs and tried cranking... hooked up to a full charge battery the starter trays and engine won't even crank... possible something got in the engine block and won't let the pistons move?Hasn't run with high temperature or anything, ran it a few days ago just before i noticed an issue and have clean fresh oil. Not sure that the cleaner has made it to the injectors or engine since the starter wont crank the engine for mor than a qtr second or so.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

So is the electric starter not working, how new is the battery ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Starter worked fine last week... Battery in good shape I think. Trickle charging now. Starter made a strong noise, like it was getting plenty of power but engine only crank for a fraction of a second... seemed like starter was hitting a bunch of resistance. No other indication in the electrical that the battery isn't good.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a multi-meter ? (test voltage) and have you tried pulling the spark pugs and see if it will turn over easier ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pulled the spark plugs with same result. Have a multi meter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Do a simple battery test;

1.) Key off, measure voltage at battery

2.) Key on, measure voltage

3.) While observing meter voltage, start the engine and see where he voltage drops to ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can do 1 and 2, 3 not going to happy bc engine won't crank. I expect if Battery isn't good there will be a substantial voltage drop between 1 and 2 and 1. Will measure something below 12v?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Yes 12 volts DC, Only if you get a little something on test 3, I'm trying to see where your problem lies, really don't want to just jump in on the electrical checks if we are up against a bad battery for say ?

Thanks