Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I bought an eco engine 1989 with 2002 frame Harley that was

Customer Question

I bought an eco engine 1989 with 2002 frame Harley that was put together by a guy who put it in a motorcycle repair shop to sell on consignment. I went to look st it several times and the mechanics had to do minor repairs when we started it up. They said they looked it over and it was good to come. I'm not a mechanic. It sounded fine, but did not drive it except in the parking lot. I also could not but it because it was a NZm frame sold in Texas and we needed a title. The bike road rough, but what do I know. I love the custom part of it and I worked on s few things myself. Then when I took it in for an oil chs he they said the bike was built really badly. I took it to a certified Harley mechanic and he found slit of items that were bad, going bad, not put in tight, etc and basically rebuilt the thing for $3,000; I bought it for $5,000. I had to take it back again because the electronic ignition did not work, Another $129. It this worth reporting the BBB or it's just my bad luck to not have had an Independent mechanic look it over and insist I drive it on the road?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: I bought it a year ago, I work so drive it recreationally around town. The change was about 3 months ago. I just can't get this was all wrong on their part out of my head.
JA: What is the model of your '89 motorcycle?
Customer: Softtail. Evo engine.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I talked to them and they were not helpful. They asked why I didn't take it to their shop though there is no warranty. I just had a hard seat so worked around that to make it less of a hard ride. It's like they looked at it just to make sure it ran but knew it was not put together right and that was not passed on to me.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't see your response.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  brian winther replied 4 months ago.

It is definitely worth reporting. there are way too many shops like this all over the U.S. I personally cannot understand why anyone would knowingly allow someone to ride anything that could potentially kill them. The BBB will make this information available for potential customers of theirs letting them know to stay away. Im sorry that this is happening to you but glad you found someone to set the bike straight

Brian