Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500 HO. at 40-45 MPH it bogs

I have a 2001 Polaris sportsman 500 HO. at 40-45 MPH it bogs down. I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines and rebuilt carb. It still bogs out
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: After replacing the carb I cleaned out the gas tank and put in new gas. No I do not smell gas around the engine
JA: What is the model of your '01 motorcycle?
Customer: Polaris sportsman 500 HO
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes Im fixing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have changed the fuel pump, new fuel lines, rebuilt carb, checked Cams
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think it is fuel. I checked voltage with it running at the battery and it is just under 12v and doesn't change when I rev motor. Thinking stator, pick up coil, or regulator but not sure how to test and confirm which one is bad?

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics based on the above description of "...checked voltage with it running at the battery and it is just under 12v and doesn't change when I rev motor...":

• stator - test;
  • - very low Ω readings between any pairing of the 3 yellow, yellow/red and yellow/brown wires of the stator;
  • - but no reading to engine ground;
  • - 20Volts AC when idling between any pairing of these wires;
  • - and would proportionately increase to about 40 ~ 60V AC as the RPM is increased;
  • pick up coil - would not have any effect on the charging system as it is solely for ignition/spark;
  • regulator - if the stator passes the above tests, then;
  • - battery voltage when idling should be around 12.4 ~ c12.7 Volts DC;
  • - increases to about 13.0 ~ 14.6V when revved;
  • - but not to exceed 15.0V DC.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so I checked the wires you mentioned and one was unplugged so now my voltage is good, so I'm assuming my stator is good? However, now the carb is leaking gas and when its revel up its spraying gas.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way the original problem still exists

On "...carb is leaking gas...", the prescribed approach would be a carb pulldown (again), dis-assembly, soak and clean with appropriate cleaner with particular attention to the valve inlet needle and float (height).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I found multiple problems with the carb so I ordered one and replaced it. After replacing the carb it does run better but after running it and getting it hot it started having the problem again. So I went back to your stator test. I think I already know the answer based on your tests but would like you to confirmRunning at idle when hot battery voltage is 14.67 volts DC then when revving the motor it had little to no change so maybe 14.72At the three wire stator plug under dash I had:Green/ Red and black
at idle was 23.80 v AC
revved was 12.80 v AC
598 ohmsGreen/ Red
at idle was 11.11 v AC
revved was 13.20 v AC
1.6 ohmsRed/ Red and Black
at idle was 9.50 v AC
revved was 3.2 But would jump to around 20 v AC then go right back down
623 ohms

Appreciate the post back.

And based on these findings particularly the "... idle when hot battery voltage is 14.67...", I am more inclined to suspect the regulator rather than the stator.

And for some reason, the stator wire colors seem different. Was the stator replaced previously?

On 2001 versions, yellow would be the common color for the stator wires. Even for the stator with just 2 wires; yellow/red and yellow.

Still, can you try running the Polaris with the regulator temporarily disconnected? The battery of course would have to be fully charged.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I was testing the wrong wires coming from the stator but I found the regulator.I tested the regulator when its cold
Regulator wires yellow & yellow/ red is 13.9 at idle
8.7 revved
3.3 M ohms not sure what the M means
Battery at idle when cold is 17.63
Battery revved when cold is 17.34
I went back and double checked my battery and now while cold its reading
Battery at idle when cold is 14.4
Battery at idle when revved is 14.38The regulator wires look burnt at the connection. After running it for a few seconds the yellow & the yellow/red wires get hot.

Significant findings as it would now point to both the stator and the regulator as most likely faulty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you think one took out the other?

Yes unfortunately.

In most instances, the regulator would have failed first and then the stator was overloaded causing it to fail also eventually.

If not rectified and still used, it would cause other (resultant) failures particularly the CDI and other electronics.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think it would be ok to go after market on the stator and regulator?
What are the chances of the CDI still being good right now?

That the Sportsman can still idle and fault exhibits itself only as "...40-45 MPH it bogs down..." would point to the CDI as most likely still good.

Aftermarket regulator and stator would still serve the purpose.

Hi again,

Can I be of further assistance with the Polaris?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm satisfied but can I continue to ask questions once the parts come in?

Yes of course; post back with a followup on the Sportsman should it be needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I finally got my stator. There is a plug that goes to the computer has 3 wires on the original and the new one only has 2, I'm assuming this is the wrong stator and I'm not supposed to modify it in some way?

Unfortunately, yes. The original is a 3-pahse hence 3 wires. The 2-wires would indicate that this is a single phase and would not be compatible with your electrical system.

And no, it is not possible to modify as it is lacking 2 more windings.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm still waiting on my stator to come in. I have another question for you on a 2012 Renli with a chery 0.8 motor. Do I need to start the process all over to talk to you about this and if so how do I do that

I understand.

And yes please; post the details of this new question on a new thread. Please click HERE.