Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a DNA inverted front end. How do you pull the lower

Customer Question

I have a DNA inverted front end. How do you pull the lower legs off to pull it apart? Is it better to have raked triple trees or use raked steering cups instead so it dosent affect the trail on the bike?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

- raking with trees or cups alters the trail. before altering the rake, you should read and understand this https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

- raking the frame is the preferred option. raked trees are a cheap alternative, but that doesn't mean it's a good option. whoever thought of raked cups should be tied to a tree and shot.

- here is a link to DNA. they should be able to provide technical assistance. http://dnaspecialty.com/hd-parts/front-ends/

let me kn ow if you have other questions.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The front end already has raked trees when I bought it, and it has 2inch extended forks also. I want to keep the raked look. And I was told it is better to use raked cups and keep the triple tree standard then doin it the other way round. Wat do u recon? And I have looked on that DNA site that you gave me the link for, and it dosent show you anything about pulling them apart?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

- concerning raked front ends, what I recon is posted above.

- I have not been able to find any technical information on DNA products and from what I know of the company, there may not be any. I know they are manufactured off shore. I do not remember which country. it could be South Korea. you may have to use the contact link on the web page to request technical assistance. all I can do is point you in the right direction.

- that said, you'll have to remove the fork legs from the triple trees for disassembly. you should find pinch bolts on the triple trees. if the upper tree has no pinch bolts, the forks will unscrew from the upper tree. once removed, you'll have to release the damper rod, remove the retaining clip and pull them apart. some upside forks require the application of a heat gun to the upper section to allow it to expand slightly before pulling the forks apart. you can research other upside down forks and see if you see something on the internet that is similar to what you have and follow their instructions. DNA copied these from someone. stolen is a better word. since all of their products are reverse engineered from someone elses product, you should be able to find something that helps.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have taken out the forks from the triple trees. And the top of the forks unscrew. But you carnt pull anything apart until you get the bottom inverted fork legs off and I carnt see a way of doin it. I think they r a copy off of the ultma or spike front end but I still carnt find info on them either. Can you try and find out research on it for me to show how the bottom legs come off
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you check the primary chain to see if it straight on a 2006 softail
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

you haven't accepted my last answer yet.

one question at a time please.

Steve