Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

2000 sporster, 1200cc. Gauges go erratic and motor starts to

Customer Question

2000 sporster, 1200cc. Gauges go erratic and motor starts to run rough. Help please.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Has anything been checked, tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Code do2 set. Im a dyi guy. Is it the speed sensor?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine misses when gauges go crazy.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I clear code and it does it alittle later.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
High speed short?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This sounds more like a wiring fault here with a possible short in the wiring or loss of voltage or ground.If you have not checked over this model for any wiring issues this should be done.If any issues are found they will need repaired to resolve this fault here.

If this is or was checked into already and found to be o.k. let me know but this does sound like a wiring fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got a person not familiar with my bike. I think that he should ask me about harleys. I know as much or more. Easy answer. Not happy.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

it may or may not be an easy answer.

first off, that is not a Harley-Davidson diagnostic code.

check diagnostic codes as follows: http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/HarleyDiagCodes.pdf

I suspect a voltage issue. probably over-voltage.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was a speedometer code. Not a diagnostic code. It's fixed. I tore it down today. Replaced the speed sensor and the hot wire from starter to battery. It was a little burnt. Thanks.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

that is not a speedometer code either.

your battery cable connection was loose.

you should replace ALL battery cables.

let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve