Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I was riding, it was riding fine. Just a slight wobble or

Customer Question

I was riding, it was riding fine. Just a slight wobble or vibration at cruising speeds that went away on acceleration. Then it seemed like it slipped out of gear or something. I can feel it shifting into 1st and second just fine, neutral light will come on with bike off and I can at minimum feel the first two gears click in. Now, I can have the bike running in neutral, shift into first and nothing happens. Doesn't stall, nor does it move when revved. Tried the same thing with second, no change.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It just happened to say. I just started it literally a second ago, put it in second and tried to move, and it sounds like there's grinding or noise coming from it but it won't move.
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2002 Yamaha vstar 650 custom.
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm on the side of the road, lol. Waiting for the tow guy. Wanted to get some info because it will depend on if I'm towing it home or to the dealer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I noticed this year when i pulled it out this year that my clutch only had engagement in about 25 percent of the clutch lever. I was doing about 50 when this happened just now. Didn't hear any warning grinding or anything, it just slipped out, and then I heard some gear noise. Now, I can get it into 1st and second with the bike on or off and feel it engage into gear. It just doesn't go anywhere, as if the clutch was entirely engaged. On Rev, I'm hearing some grinding. Almost sounds like gear grind in a stick shift when you don't have the clutch properly depressed.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny, do you still need help on this or did you end up taking the bike to a dealer ?

Thanks

Kenny