Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have no power to the coil on my 1993 polaris big boss

Customer Question

I have no power to the coil on my 1993 polaris big boss where do i look now
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Steve my name is*****'m a limited on service manuals for Polaris but I think that I can help.

This unit is magneto ignition, so you'll find that the "black" wire from the CDI box, that is what they use to kill the spark, that wire goes to the handlebar switch and also the ignition switch, you need to eliminate those switches for testing purposes, if you can get t the CDI box and the black wire that comes out of the box , disconnect it there and that will eliminate the kill switches, then check to see if you have spark.

Let me know what you come up with

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
still nothing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried that and still no spark
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK, do you have a multi-meter ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have a multi-meter
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK good, I will post up a picture and If you can get a resistance reading on the exciter and pulser coil in the stator, when I say to check AC volts, while your meter is connected to the lead pair for resistance reading, simply switch your meter over to VAC and then turn the engine over while observing the meter and measure the AC voltage that those coils are producing. Please write down your results

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
between the black-red wire and brown red wire is 118 ohms and 24 volts my four wheelwe only has three wires coming out of the stator 1- black-red 1-brown red 1-white
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Steve give me a bit here, let me double check what I have, you sure of the year ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Polaris(###) ###-####big boss 6x6
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK good ! I'll be back

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
off to work now will check back tomorrow
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

OK, I'll post up what I find.

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

One other thing on this, you have electric starter and a pull starter, have you tried using the pull starter and then check for spark ?

I have a friend that works for factory Polaris, he's going to send me some info on this unit, I didn't get it today so I suspect tomorrow. I will get back as soon as I receive that.

Thanks Steve !

Kenny

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi Steve I finally got my info from Polaris, my buddy up there was e-mailing me and didn't realize that it was going into my spam folder, do you still need help ? if so we have conflicting wiring according to what I received, so if I can get an engine model off your unit I think that will help.

Thanks

Kenny