Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

2005 650 vstar that has set for a couple of years. I dumped

Customer Question

2005 650 vstar that has set for a couple of years . I dumped the old gas boiled the carbs, replaced the filter. Fuel pump is fine. Yet at roughly 3,000 rpm the rear cylinder cuts out. It doesn't just misfire it's like i pulled a plug wire off. Float levels are good. New plugs. I suspect a coil breaking down. It idles fine with the choke off and I can let the clutch out and take off fine it's just when the rpms are at the point of time to shift that the back cylinder cuts out. Compression is also fine. Your thoughts?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No the clutch does not slip
JA: Are you fixing your 650 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Boiled the carbs and put new carb kit in. Checked float levels. new plugs, filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is Kenny, who am I speaking to ?

Apologize for the person that was in contact with you earlier, they are not experts and not really sure if its a live person.

We need to figure out first where your problem lies, couple thinks I need from you is the 17 digit frame number so I can verify your exact model.

Also of you have a multi-meter, as I will have you check a few ignition components ?

A timing light ?

Compression gauge ?

If you don't have any of these items if you have a Harbor Freight tool store you can pick up those items fairly cheap.

Thanks

Kenny