Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a 91 softtail thats been sitting for a couple of

Customer Question

I have a 91 softtail thats been sitting for a couple of years.today i tried to get it running .when it turned over im getting oil comming out of carb ???
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: couple of years ago right b4 i parked it
JA: What is the model of your '91 motorcycle?
Customer: heritage
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: was running good b4 i parked it just trying to get it running again
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

- drain all the oil out of the oil tank you added before attempting to start.

- the issue is known as "sumping". all the oil from your oil tank leaked into the gearcase. when you start the engine, it is pumped back into the oil tank. but since you filled the oil tank, it has no place to go, so it is being removed from the engine by the breather. the breather is connected to the back of the air cleaner, sio it's dumping the oil in there.

- remove the breather hose from the back of the air cleaner and stick it into an oil drain pan.

- disassemble the air cleaner and clean out all the oil. change the air filter.

- start the engine and run it for a few minutes to clear out the breather. don't run it too long. it's an air cooled engine and will overheat in a matter of minutes.

- after the oil tank level stabilizes, ride the bike until the oil is at operating temperature, then drain while hot. add 2 quarts of fresh oil and start the engine while looking into the oil tank with a light. when you see signs of oil return flow, you can turn off the engine. do not top off the oil until it is at operating temperature. t is best to check the oil level AFTER a ride. fill the oil tank to the bottom of the filler neck. do not overfill the oil tank.

- never top off the oil until after running the engine.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
let me know if you need more help.if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.thank you,Steve