Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I keep blowing up cdi box on my 250, 2006 Virgo 250, I can't

Customer Question

I keep blowing up cdi box on my 250
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: 2006 Virgo 250
JA: What is the model of your '06 motorcycle?
Customer: I can't remember
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I no I've had it at the shop had cdi replaced stater and rectifier and both coils still blowing cdi boxes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to ride my bike I have had it almost a year and only got to put may 30 miles on it
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's go back to check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (even if have been done):

• re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring;

• of particular interest would be the presence and consistency of IGN+12V on the red/white wires to the ignition coils;

• likewise check the relay assembly particularly the diodes.
• consider to have the battery externally charged; and
• then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have did all that
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

I understand.

On the consistency of IGN+12V on the red/white wire, what is the voltage when:

• ignition off;
  • ignition on;
  • starting;
  • idling; and
  • when revving?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The repair guy did not give me that i have replaced so much and spent so much i could of got a new bike the only thing not replaced was the wiring and the motor
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

These voltages would establish if an over voltage condition may be existing. It can also be due to an intermittent switching connection from the red wire to the brown wire and/or red/white wire thus the proposed test was for consistency and not only presence.

Additionally and as posted above, the diodes in the relay assembly may be affecting the igniter. These diodes would have to be check out-of-circuit for forward and reverse Ω values.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok ill have that checked again ive done paid them overb3000 dollars plus parts i just want to ride
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding.

The igniter has 2 wires feeding the relay assembly. Since the igniter, stator and rectifier/regulator has laready been changed + service fees paid but symptom persists, then it should be no additional cost just to checks the above readings.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He told me any more work would be wasting money so i dont even want to go back there
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not really where would i get one
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have one of those i will check it tomorrow afternoon
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

And would appreciate an update when able.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Will do thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Cheers.