P.J.
P.J., Technician
Experience:  10 years as a mechanic and fabricator in a privately owned, local, custom bike shop.
75205684

My 2000 fxdwg hd,will run for a couple minutes then when it

Customer Question

My 2000 fxdwg hd,will run for a couple minutes then when it warms up it shuts down ,no fire on plugs. I just replaced coil so not that, help !!!
JA: What's the make/model/year of your bike?
Customer: My 2000 fxdwg shuts down when it runs for a couple minutes.looses fire to plugs,let it set for 5min. It will start up again for a minute or two.just replaced coil didn't help, any suggestions?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Motorcycle Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Thanks!
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yep, took it completely out,ground was loose on battery,retightened with locktight and installed new accel coil and still did same thing
JA: What is the model of your '00 motorcycle?
Customer: Harley fxdwg, Dina wide glide
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yep, t
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, my engine light comes on and the speedometer quits working as soon as I up the rpm just a little above idle and I keep burning out headlights every month or two
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  P.J. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be working with you today.

Expert:  P.J. replied 8 months ago.

The first repair you need to complete is to replace the voltage regulator. A failed regulator is causing your engine light to come on, your speedometer to quit, and your headlight bulb to blow. When the bike is revved above idle speed the charging system voltage is going too high and causing these issues. A new voltage regulator will keep that maximum voltage correct.

This correction of maximum voltage may also correct the issue of the bike shutting down after a few minutes. If not, then the likely cause is a failing crank position or cam position sensor. A good signal from both of these is required for the ignition system to work. When they begin to fail heat can affect their operation.

Thanks, ***** ***** a positive rating for my service today. P.J.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** seems to make great sense,I will start with the voltage regulator.
Expert:  P.J. replied 8 months ago.

I think would be wise. You can verify the voltage regulator issue if you want. With a meter on the battery terminals you shouldn't see the voltage go above about 14.6 volts DC. If so, you certainly need a new regulator.

The electronics on your bike stop working around 15.8 volts DC.

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my service. Thanks, P.J.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great advice, been a small engine mechanic most my life but not good with electrical issues,I need someone else's advice to know which direction to go next,you gave the perfect and sensible advice ,all makes sense to me now thanks to P. J. andJust Answer
Expert:  P.J. replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome, take care, P.J.