Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

My 2005 Yamaha Rhino was running fine in my garage, no

Customer Question
issues. I was using the...
My 2005 Yamaha Rhino was running fine in my garage, no issues. I was using the cigarette lighter to run my air compressor to air up the tires. I turned the Rhino off when the tires were full. Went to start it about 5 minutes later and it was completely dead. No lights any where. I was standing there next to it why the key was in the ON position, and suddenly something made a click noise, and everything was back on. I turned it over and it fired right up. I turned it off and went to start it again, and now it's dead in the water. The battery definitely has juice, as I put a charger on it, and it showed voltage even without the charger plugged in. Any recommendations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forgot to add that I checked the fuses at the starter relay and they were both fine.
1/6/2017
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• check the black wire and clean connection point to the frame from the battery's - terminal;
  • do the same for the bigger black wire from the battery's - terminal to the engine;
  • as well as to all the black wires of the harness;
  • check the big red wire and clean connection points from the battery's + terminal to a terminal of the starter relay;
  • test for always available +12V on the smaller red wire from the starter relay using the frame and then the engine and then the battery's - terminal as ference ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've checked all connection ports and they're all clean and connected. I have a cheap voltage tester, but I can't get it to light up anything on the Rhino I. I know the meter works as I can get it to light up testing a home electrical outlet. I very well may be doing wrong though. I've tried touching the lighy side of the meter to the red wire on both the relay or positive battery terminal, and then the ground on either the frame, negative terminal, and motor. It won't light up no matter what.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ended up messing around with the battery and next thing I know the lights on the dash turned on. I'm not sure what I did to make it happen. I ended up pulling the battery out and am headed to replace the battery. Will report back once I get it replaced.

Appreciate the update now and again later when able.

Nice find on the potential suspect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced the battery and was still dead. I started messing with the starter relay and I heard it click and turn on. I ordered a new starter relay, I think there something wrong with it

Some light type voltage testers will only work with house wiring ACV but not with battery DCV.

Bear with me on delays as currently mobile with sluggish Internet if at all.

Louie, Technician