Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

Turn on the ignition; Headlamp, passing lamps, all the

Customer Question

Turn on the ignition; Headlamp, passing lamps, all the running and marker lights come one, the fuel pump primes but that’s it. No gauges, blinkers don’t work, brake lights don’t work, radio does not come on, no odometer, no starter. Security system is working fine. Confirmed, at an auto parts store...battery is good.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: What would the brake fluid have to do with an electrical/starting issues?
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2015 Ultra Lin Limited
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: check the battery, at an auto parts store, it's fine. That's it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

check fuses with an ohm meter. ign, accy, instr specifically, but in your case, since brake lights, instruments and turn signals are not related electrically, I would check them all.

the fuse block is under the left side over.

a visual inspection is often inadequate to determine if a fuse is blown.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All fuses and relays checked out good.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

I don't do phone calls.

- tell how this all started. what was going on?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Back it out of my garage for a ride this morning. When I disconnected the tender, the light was solid orange (good). Went through the normal pre-check and then pressed the ignition switch - like always - and got no response (never cranked at all). Noticed that the voltage gauge was slightly above 12 for a brief while...and then it dropped to 8 (maximum left). Thinking the battery was drained, I tried to get it started by drifting down a hill and getting it to turn over my popping the clutch, however, the road was wet and after two attempts stopped at the bottom of the hill. Tried to jump it with my car...voltage meter needle never budged above 8, nor did any crank occur at all. Removed the battery and took it to an auto parts store and they checked it out to be good. As I said in my initial note...when your turn the ignition switch...the headlight comes on (bright...normal) the running and marker lights come on (normal) and you can hear the fuel pump do its thing....BUT the Infotainment center, odometer, etc. do NOT come on.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

your symptoms indicate a dead battery OR faulty battery cables OR several blown fuses OR a faulty ignition switch OR severed electrical harnesses.

aside from deliberate sabotage.......if the bike was running fine and all of a sudden, out of the blue this happened......you have a dead battery.

I realize you stated the battery was checked at a auto parts store. that does not change anything, as far as I am concerned.

if you decide to purchase a multimeter, I can help you diagnose your problem. without one, the only thing you can do is take the bike to a shop, to someone who has one.

buying a meter would be cheaper.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since the bike is only 14 months old and under full warranty...I think I'm going to use my roadside assistance on my policy and get it to my dealer tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will I be charged for this session, since we did not resolve my problem?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

that is a very good idea.

but your deductible will cost you more than a multimeter.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.

I resolved your issue for you.

I told you it cannot be fixed without a multimeter.

it's not my fault you don't have one.

but unfortunately, I don't get paid for my time unless you leave a positive rating.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve