Christopher
Christopher, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as motorcycle, dirt bike, ATV, UTV and watercraft technician.
5111025

I have a kawasaki zx14r, the temperature gauge went to 203

Customer Question

I have a kawasaki zx14r, the temperature gauge went to 203 but not riding, just idling for several minutes, then i turned off the engine, after 5 minutes, from a vinyl tube located below by the sidestand, the coolant started to be flushed. is something wrong i should to check before ride? the coolant reservoir shows now "low".
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Christopher replied 7 months ago.

The tube is the coolant overflow tube. You will see coolant leaking with the engine get very hot. Did the fan behind the radiator come on before the engine became hot? Did you check the actual radiator for coolant?

If the fan ran, and the rad is full, you likely have a faulty thermostat.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when the temperature hits 200, yes both fans ran at the same time. but i do not understand why dump coolant.

If the thermostat is stuck in the closed position, the hot coolant will not be able to travel into the radiator to allow the fans to cool it.

If you any further questions or problems, post them here and we can continue to work on a solution. Please remember to rate my assistance, it is the only way I am compensated for my time...Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can un-stuck the thermosstat? do i need a new one?

Thermostats are not repaired, they are replaced. The cost to replace one is minimal compared to the labor involved to replace it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can i do it myself or is better to take it to the shop?