Eric, Technician
Experience:  MMI grad. 7 years experience in Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, as service manager and tech.
12914129

I have a '04 foreman ES, and I got shifting issues, Neutral

Customer Question

Hi! I have a '04 foreman ES, and I got shifting issues, Neutral Reverse and First Gear works fine but, doesn't wann shift into second gear. very rarely passes the second gear and starts working fine passed second gear, the goes the same for electric shifting and manually. I already change the angle sensor and cleaned the shifter motor and still with the same problem, What could it be Sir, Thank you and Regards, Phil
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Hi Please see my first message that I sent you
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: orginal, probably got 5,000 miles on it.
JA: Are you fixing your ES yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Im trying to fix it my self,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I changed the angle sensor and cleaned out the brushes from shifter motor those areas look good
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

When you replaced the angle sensor, did you preload the sensor? And after installing did you reinitialize the system?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm assuming re initialize means, everything connected in its place turn off key and turn it back on, I did that 10 times, unless there is other way to do it. And preload sensor, I'm not sure what that means, I only changed it.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Allow me to backup for a second to make sure we are talking about the same machine. Is this the foreman rubicon, or just simply the foreman ES.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

the foreman es can only be shifted by buttons on the handlebar, the rubicon has and Auto shift mode, and the buttons on the handlebar

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's simply a foreman es
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

ok, this doesnt require the items mentioned earlier then. Does your gear indicator flash -- at all? Or did you have an previous codes before replacing the angle sensor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Everything on the display shows normal, nothing flashing, not previously, nor now
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

ok, usually the computer is pretty good about picking up a faulty sensor or Control unit or something. This is very possible to be mechanical. On the front of the motor, there is the small electric shift control motor. That motor bolts to a small reduction gear cover. You will need to inspect those reduction gears to see if there is a chipped tooth on one of the gears to see if they are allowing the shift motor to move the shift mechanism in full swing. there is no oil in that cover so you should be able to unbolt it and take the small gears out and check them. If those gears check out fine, you will unfortunately need to look to the engine components to see where the problem is. first off you will need to make sure you have a good healthy battery. a weak battery on these will affect the shifting, also a that the contacts and armature in the control motor are in good shape. but if in manual shift you cannot get the gear shifting to work well then likely the problem is in those reduction gears, or the shift mechanism, and worse case scenario the shift drum/shift forks. if the reduction gears check out fine, the shift mechanism will need to be the next item to check. the front engine cover will need to be removed. this does contain the engine oil, so the oil must be drained. Once the cover is off you will notice both the centrifugal clutch, and a transmission clutch. those will need to be removed, the centrifugal clutch requires and special puller to pull it from the shaft. With those off you will notice the shift shaft has a plate system that turns the shift drum. Sometimes one of the pawls will fracture and cause shifting issues. If the problem is not there then its likely the motor will need to come completely apart and the shift drum/and shift forks inspected.

so i would definately inspect those reduction gears and make sure all those other items are in good working order. If not then that would be the nexts steps needed to identify the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for helping, I didn't rate your answer yet, because some other stuff came up, and I won't be able to get to get back to my foreman, until a few weeks from now, so I'm thinking I might have a few questions later, hoping that we keep intouch later, thank you very much, best Regards, Phil!
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.

after rating you are able to revisit this thread and I can help you further. good luck