Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I own a 2015 Polaris 570 Sportsman. I was riding it the

Customer Question

I own a 2015 Polaris 570 Sportsman. I was riding it the other night. I made a hard right turn. The headlight went out. I made it back to my house. When i went to try to crank it nothing happened. The instrument gauge will light up but when you turn the key nothing happens
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just realized i was making a hard left instead of right turn
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I pulled into my garage to see if i could see why the light had suddenly gone out. I turned off the engine. When i went to try to crank it back that is when nothing happened. You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's check / review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);
  • • locate the starter solenoid, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid.
  • • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter solenoid. Expect a big spark. If no reaction, then possibly a cable and/or terminal issue;
  • • inspect insulation of wires and check for pinched wire(s) or wires that may be rubbing raw to the frame/chassis;
  • • check also the terminal block by following the red wires connected to it from the starter solenoid;
  • • as well as the bluie wire from the terminal block, the fusible link it connects to and the red wire on its other end.
  • • check likewise the white wires as well as all the red wires.

All other tests would require the use of a volt / multi-meter.