michael silva
michael silva, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Mikes Moto Repair
96918254

I now have multiple issues going on. I have always have had

Customer Question

I now have multiple issues going on. I have always have had trouble with the Kawasaki 610 Mule running rough and having idle issues. Cleaned carb several time, but never seemed to resolve the issue. I then bought a new carb, fuel pump and filter. Replaced them all. The Mule started up and sounded great. Then it began to idle and died. I noticed also alot of fuel pouring out of the overflow on the carb. I took it apart to check the float valve and it seems to operate correctly. Mounted and started again. Ran great for a few seconds and then back to idle where it died. Cranked the starter for about 20 seconds. Tried again and now the starter won't turn. 12V is permanently on the top connection point that comes direct from the battery. Trying to check the bottom wire, but it seems like the connector is attached permanently, and I don't want to break it..
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: With new carb, it will not run at idle
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2005 Kawasaki 610 Mule
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Already described that
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  michael silva replied 11 months ago.
First thing-perform a valve adjustment, bring engine to Top dead center, make sure no valves are rocking open, adjust valves to 4-5 thousands of an inch using a feeler gauge. Let's start with a new spark plug. As for the carb leaking fuel out of the over flow, dirt might of made its way into the carb not letting the float seal to shut the fuel off, so you'll have to do a carb clean out. As for the starter-looking at it, there's a large red wire constant 12v. There is a smaller wire that connects to the solenoid on the stater. Using a 12v jumper wire you can check if the starter is any good. Using the jumper wire if the engine turns your starter is good and if you jump it and nothing happens starter needs replacing.If the starter turns the engine over with the jumper, then neural safely switch can be worn out. You can replace the safety switch or bypass it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have determined that 12v is going to the starter. The small wire only has 12 volts when the ignition is engaged. This is all good. The starter did not turn when 12v was applied. I did try and jump and nothing occurred. Purchased a new starter and this did nothing to help matters. Checking the neutral switch now. So far, no progress.
Sounds like You've tested everything correctly.
Before I opt out of this questions for other technicians to take over try this bit,Place starter in a bench vise and bench test it. If it works on the bench then there's possibility of weak ground from battery to engine. if suspected remove cable, remove corrosion and reinstall.