michael silva
michael silva, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at Mikes Moto Repair
96918254

Changed my battery but now the headlight and front running

Customer Question

changed my battery but now the headlight and front running lights are on all the time and it wont start
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: yes, but not in my harley
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: its a 2003 Harley fatboy, its not a car
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just putting in he battery and trying to shut off lights, etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  michael silva replied 11 months ago.

Does your bike have a security system?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does

Proceed as follows with the FOB present..
Turn ignition on-off-on-off-on.Then hit the left blinker button twice-then the right button once *. You should get the current pin number displayed in the odometer window.
Don't waste any time doing this or it will not work.

*With a button fob system you must hit the button on fob twice instead of hitting right signal to enter new code. Same to find existing PIN. Button fob twice instead of right signal.

Let's assume for simplicity that your code is set at 31313 and you wish to use the manual disarm of the security system using the directional switches as if you lost your fob and cannot disarm the system.

Your security system will disarm the bike and it cannot be started without deactivating the system first.

This applies to systems using the button type security fob only. See further down the page for later button less models.

If you are unsure of what the manual code is refer to the top of this page or check with your dealer and set one if it has not been set by them. Failure to set a manual code may require a replacement of the TSSM should a problem arise and they come at a healthy price.

Again this is based on your code being 31313 just to make it easier to understand.

1. Turn the ignition to Accessory.

2. Press both turn signals. (security light should flash rapidly)

3. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

4. Press left turn signal button 1 time. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

5. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

6. Press left turn signal button 1 time. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

7. Press left turn signal button 3 times. Press right turn signal button 1 time.

Security light stops flashing and security system is disarmed.

If you've changed the number, use your new number instead of 31313.

Button less fobs (Smart FOB)

To view how to deactivate the security system using the manual PIN codes, read here.

Manual Alarm Disarming Procedure

To view/change the PIN number follow this procedure, but read and understand it first, then see the note at the bottom.

1. Select 5 digit code (1 thru 9) and record it on the wallet card in the owners manual.

2. With an assigned FOB present, turn IGN key ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON

3. Press Left turn signal switch 2 times.

4. Press Right turn signal switch one time and release.
*Turn signals will flash 3 times. Current PIN will appear in the odometer. The first digit will be flashing.

5. Enter first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (a) times.

6. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit (a) will replace the current in the odometer window.

7. Enter second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (b) times.

8. Press right turn signal 1 time and release.
*The new digit will replace the current in odometer window.

9. Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (c) times.

10. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.
*The new digit (c) will replace the current in the odometer window.

11. Enter forth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal switch (d) times.

12. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

13. Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing left turn signal (e) times.
*The new digit (e) will replace the current in the odometer window.

14. Press the right turn switch 1 time and release.

15. Before the module rearms, turn ignition key to OFF.
* The odometer will return to mileage display.
**Turning the ignition to OFF stores the new pin in the module.

NOTE
The key to doing this procedure is to turn the ignition switch on/off/on/off/on and use the left directional 3 times then the right just once and do it all in TWO SECONDS or it will not work.
Also on new installations, the dealer has to program the fob using the bar code for it to work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the remotes have two buttons on them, a gray one and a red one. Which button do I use in the reset sequence?this is exactly what I was looking for BTW...

Be sure to have a new battery in the Fob, Red button. Heres a quick video for referance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sW-U2FwEB4

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
not having any luck. When I put the battery cables on the front turn signals come on. The don't flash. Also the blue headlight image comes on the dash. When I did the ignition and hit the left signal twice and the FOB twice after nothing displayed in the odometer window. When on I can see mileage either. When I turn the ignition on the headlight comes on but nothing else.Any ideas?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The process did not work. Have you read the email above? As of now I have a bill pending and no solution yet...
Your HD has the ability to be started without a Fob present jus in case the Fob is lost or the battery goes dead. Your Pin# ***** over-ride the security system is usually loaded up with the last 5 numbers of your Harley's serial # backwards! (EX: serial # last 5 is 1 2 3 4 5..........it was entered as 5 4 3 2 1).You can enter your own 5 digit Pin # into the systemUsing the Security Alarm PIN Override to Start Your Harley Davidson1. Turn the IGN key to IGNITION and immediately hold both turn signal switches until 5 dashes appear in the odometer window.2. Enter the first digit of your PIN (a) by pressing the left turn signal switch (a) times.3. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.4. Enter the second digit of your PIN (b) by pressing the left turn signal switch (b) times.5. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.6. Enter the third digit of your PIN (c) by pressing the left turn signal switch (c) times.7. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.8. Enter the forth digit of your PIN (d) by pressing the left turn signal switch (d) times.9. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.10. Enter the fifth digit of your PIN (e) by pressing the left turn signal switch (e) times.11. Press the right turn signal switch 1 time to move to the next digit.12. Press the right turn signal switch one time and the security system alarm is turned off
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am afraid I may have 2 problems. I rode the bike home the day before I changed the battery and got caught in a huge thunderstorm. When I pulled in I noticed the odometer was dimmer than normal. I figured something got wet since I was wringing out my socks and underwear. Not sure what to do know. Don't mind paying you more to help me get his solved, just let me know how to do it.