Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

2000 Polaris sportsman 500 will not start - brand new

Customer Question

2000 Polaris sportsman 500 will not start - brand new battery, ignition solenoid does not click - nothing happens when posts on solenoid are jumped with screwdrivwe
JA: What is the voltage at the battery?
Customer: 12.3
JA: What is the model of your '00 motorcycle?
Customer: sportsman 500
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, replaced battery, replaced solenoid but not sure it is right one
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: could this be ignition switch?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the description of "...solenoid does not click - nothing happens when posts on solenoid are jumped with screwdrivwe..." is very significant:

• • jumping the big terminals of the starter solenoid should result to a big spark;
  • and the starter motor should turn;
  • • that there is no click even, then let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :
  1. - re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  2. - more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  3. - then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect);