Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

2001 Harley fatboy EFI. Bike cranks no start. New fuel pump,

Customer Question
regulator and filter installed. Fuel...
2001 Harley fatboy EFI. Bike cranks no start. New fuel pump, regulator and filter installed. Fuel pump primes when ignition is turned on. The bike has spark on both plugs. Check engine light goes off and comes back on for 8 seconds then goes off. fuses all good. Both relays have continuity when powered up with a nine volt battery.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the bike at for 2 years and the bad gas ruined his fuel pump.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I cant get the call within the next 10 minutes communicate with me the normal way.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the bike had a bad Crank position sensor would it have spark? Also the plugs are new and dry.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do you check for codes? I tried the method where you hold the trip speedo button in and then turn to the ignition position. as I cycled thru 10 positions Clear appeared at the end of each. Since my check engine light is coming back on for 8 seconds what does that mean?
10/18/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic

check for codes.

To check for trouble codes turn the ignition switch to run for three seconds (one second pause after the fuel pump stops running) and then turn the switch back to off for three seconds. Repeat this process again. Now turn the switch to ignition and wait for about 8 seconds and the check engine lamp will start flashing the codes. If there are codes present the light will flash rapidly (about three per second) then there will be a 2 second pause with the lamp off. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code. It will be on and off for about 1 second. Count the number of times it flashes for the first digit of the trouble code. Then there will be about a 2 second delay then will flash again for the second digit. After flashing the second digit there will be a 2 second delay and additional trouble codes will be flashed. Write down the numbers and when they start repeating themselves the trouble code transmission is completed. All trouble codes consist of two digits.
If the lamp flashes only the 3 flashes per second there are no trouble codes present.

let me know what you find.

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what about the other Questions I asked you? im confused about your instructions. There is no Run position on my ignition switch. There is a run on the kill switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also this procedure will not damage the pump?

after re-reading your question, it seems this is not your personal motorcycle.

are you a shop or professional mechanic expecting to be paid for this repair?

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is my personal bike. Just restoried my evo now im restoring my fatboy. im in the Army. been on tour over seas. where are the answers to my questions?

so if this is your personal bike, why did you say "the bike at for 2 years and the bad gas ruined his fuel pump."

one would say "his" if it belonged to someone else.

let me save us some time. I don't help shops. I help people who would like to learn how to fix their own bike.

I am going to OPT OUT.

that will open the question for anyone else who would like to answer your question.

best of luck with his problem,

Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I made errors . I was trying to type Sat and this fuel pump. Why would a shop ask you for answers? They deal with the same problems daily, I've been working on my own cars and dirt bikes for years.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll be asking for a Full refund tomorrow,
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic