Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

Louie, same bike but a different problem. Kawasaki zx6r

Customer Question

Hi Louie, same bike but a different problem. Kawasaki zx6r 2008...the rpm issue previously mentioned has subsided thanks to a new Fuel pump.But when i ride my bike for more than an hour or so, it suddenly shuts off mostly in 3rd or 4th gear (betweem 40 - 60 kmph)...then it doesn't start up no matter how long i press the ignition current or squeeze the accelerator while pressing it. Basically, it does not start...and while doing all this it does flash the FI sign but as soon as i let go off the ignition current the FI blinker goes away, so i cant get the diagnostic codes either.A technique that i use to start it is that i keep switching the ignition key on and off while keeping pressed the ignition current...that sudden rush gets it started and then there is no FI indicator or any other sign. The bike runs fine afterwards.i have checked the fuse box and its good, the battery is okay as well. Someone did advise me to get a new immobilizer amplifier and i got a brand new OEM part for it...but even then the issue remains.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Waleed and welcome back to JustAnswer. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, let's review the basics. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) :

• • re-inspect the battery, its ground lines and/or re-check and re-clean the battery cables + terminals, connectors and wiring ;
  • • more importantly, have the battery externally charged; and
  • • then also have the battery LOAD TESTed (even if new/charged and just for the purpose of eliminating it as a suspect).

All other tests would require the use of a volt/multi-meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery tests done and wiring checked. Load checked by my local mechanic and its all good. Further? Please respond earliest since i can only manage time on a weekend :)
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand Waleed,

This test would have to be done when the symptom shows up again; locate the starter relay. To locate the starter relay, start by following the big cable from the + terminal of the battery as it always ends up tied to 1 of the 2 big terminals of the starter relay.

• • jump the 2 big terminals of the starter relay;
  • • expect a big spark;
  • • if it does not crank, then possibly a cable and/or terminal issue;
  • (below would be dependent on the regional version of the ZX6R and/or its harness)
  • • if it does crank, then ensure that its black/yellow wire has a good ground connection;
  • • follow/trace this black/yellow wire as it would lead to a joint connector where all other black/yellow wires are commonly tied to chassis ground;
  • • check this joint connector's common tie point and ensure that it has very good ground connection also;
  • and that the starter relay's yellow/red wire gets an STRT+12V when pressing on the starter button;
  • • if there is good ground and STRT+12V, then there should be a click from the starter relay;
  • • no click, ground or STRT+12V missing;
  • • if there is a click but starter motor would not spin, then starter relay would be suspect;
  • • no STRT+12V, then check the wiring, connectors and switches;
  • • no good ground connection on the black/yellow wire, consider test hardwiring a second ground line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, for my better understanding...a) How do i know which version US/UK/Asia my bike is? As far as my understanding goes it's a US version since it has an immobilizer and it is generally built for those markets.
b) What do you mean by STRT + 12V?
c) What do you mean by if it does or does not crank?
d) Can there possibly be an issue with the ECU or Immobilizer of the bike?
e) What about the FI sign that it gives when this problem occurs only and it goes away when i get it started? Can i get the self diagnostic mode on through some method?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

On:

• a) ...US version since it has an immobilizer - agree/yes;.
  • b) What do you mean by STRT + 12V? - a 12V present if and only if the starter button is pressed;
  • c) What do you mean by if it does or does not crank? - engine turning over by starter motor;
  • d) Can there possibly be an issue with the ECU or Immobilizer of the bike? - doubtful if so, bike would not run at all and/or the issue would be immediately apparent;
  • e) What about the FI sign that it gives when this problem occurs only and it goes away when i get it started? - at this point in the diagnosis has no bearing since if it is a real issue, then it would stay lighted up;
  • Can i get the self diagnostic mode on through some method? - to my understanding, there are OBD scanner/tools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Louie...i will take this to the local mechanic here over the coming weekend. Until then I cannot agree/disagree with the detailed hypothesis you have provided (only then will i be able to rate you). For now, are there any other watchouts or things i should be looking at while at the workshop? Or it has got to do most likely with the starter relay/ground connection?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Again I understand Waleed.

Between the two, it would most likely be the black/yellow ground BUS. There are actually several of these black/yellow joint connector. The easiest test and attempt of a fix would be hardwiring a secondary ground line from the battery's - terminal to the frame, to the engine and to all these black/yellow joint connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ground BUS?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

The common ground line for the harness, with this model all the black/yellow wires, the frame and the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Louie, will get back to you...
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; when able.