Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

I have a '02 Dyna Wide Glide Harley Davidson.It has an

Customer Question

I have a '02 Dyna Wide Glide Harley Davidson.It has an external belt drive.... While riding the other day I downshifted into 2nd to take a corner & when I went to shift into 3rd again I Had NO gears..... A friend of mine helped me load it up on a trailer & told me to put it in gear so it wouldn't roll-- I still have no gears. Was just curious what your opinion is...And maybe a quick way to check a few things???
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I would appreciate the opportunity to help with your question.

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

there are several possibilities. your problem could be the shift linkage, the clutch or the inside the transmission itself.

to determine the cause, I need more information.

- does the shifter lever return to the neutral position after shifting?

- does the clutch feel normal?

- is the primary belt intact?

- is the drive belt intact?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
external drivebelt is sthill intact....Although I noticed the pulley spacing has gotten wider...I'll chfeck the rest & get back w/ u??
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

what do you men the pulley spacing is wider?

explain in detail.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you familiar w/ a man outta Missouri named "Dyno Mike".......Well - while sitting down on my bike looking down @ the x-ternal belt drive I started noticing the space between the front pulley was getting larger than normal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry i havent been sittin on my pewter- my family is in Wisc. & i am in Tx....My mother passed away on the24th
And i just kinda like to keep moving
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

the space between the front pulley AND WHAT? the engine? the clutch? the belt drive cover? what?

and what about the things I told you to check on the bike?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both belts are intact....Shifter lever never returned to N after shifting....as far as pulling clutch lever in - it feels normal....When this initially happened I " shifted " into 1st and It would barely creep alongby pulling & releasing the clutch but I could vaguely hear the gear teeth.....they sounded like they were just wore down to nothingness ya know?? I had to do that a few times in order to get it off the tiny country road (no shoulders) barely enough room 4 a car. She's sitting on a trailer out front & I haven't even attempted to start her.
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

if the shift lever never returns to the neutral position, it means your shift pawl return spring is broken and will have to be replaced.

to do this, you will have to remove the primary drive and anything preventing the transmission gear set from coming out the right side of the transmission case.

then you will need to remove the transmission gear set from the case and replace the shift pawl return spring.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
r u sure because ive owned this thing over 3 years & it never auto returned to N......does it matter that I have a "Baker box"?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont know if a photo will help or not....but i sent u 1
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

when you push the shift lever down, it spring returns up to the neutral position. when you pull the shift lever up, it spring returns down to the neutral position.

are we talking about the same thing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when done riding i have to manually put it in N by shifting all the way down & then pulling up w/ my foot a half click so my green N light comes on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I parked it I could pull in the clutch and move the shifter up& down without it catching anything at all
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

in the image provided.......the lever is shown as a DOTTED LINE IN THE NEUTRAL SHIFTING POSITION.

this has nothing to do with neutral gear selection. the shift lever has 3 positions: neutral....like when it's just setting there and you are not shifting, UP, when you are shifting to a higher gear, and DOWN, when you are shifting to a lower gear.

DOES THE SHIFT LEVER RETURN TO THE NEUTRAL SHIFTING POSITION?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll check.....take a coffee / pee break it will take me a sec- raining.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have no free dangle- - All seems okeydoe in that area
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there throwout bearings or sumthing like that on a motorcycle??
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

just so we are clear, you are saying the shift lever freely returns to the neutral position after shifting.

is that correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
correct
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like you need to perform a clutch adjustment.

when did you do that last?

tell me everything you can.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have never done a clutch adjustment on this bike....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know where you are located geographically...but wanted to thank u in advance 4 your patience w/ me
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

you're welcome. I am in California. Please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

perform a clutch and clutch cable adjustment.

I can tell you how, but I'll need to know what brand of clutch/open belt drive you have.

let me know if you need more help.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did you look @ the photo I sent to you?? It's a BKE external belt drive??
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

it's very nice.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well-i thought u could tell me how.....Please??
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

no company called "BKE" makes parts for Harley's.

so I have no idea what clutch you have or how to adjust it. they are not all the same.

but if you could determine the actual manufacturer of the belt drive, I am sure I could figure which clutch it has and go from there.

if it helps, it looks very similar to BDL systems I have seen, but I cannot tell from the picture.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

any news?