Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

I have a 97 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 that I bought about a

Customer Question

I have a 97 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4 that I bought about a year ago. when I rode it last summer, I was disappointed with the speed & power. in the winter, I discovered it must have a powerband??, or something like it, so when I let the RPM's get high, I could feel a nice kick & both speed & power was not an issue at all. now again this summer, I can not feel any powerband?? kick in & has VERY little power or speed. Any thoughts?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I have not checked fuses. I can do that tomorrow. Is that what controls the powerband?
JA: What is the model of your '97 motorcycle?
Customer: 97 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I would be working on it myself. it is actually my dad's, but I ride it once in a while & drives me nuts & I'm sure he would appreciate the proper power.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, sir.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, it would appear to be a fuel delivery/starvation issue. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • carefully remove the spark plug;
  • • check the burn color of the ceramic to the tip;
  • • drain-clean tank and replace with fresh fuel (even if just to eliminate as a suspect);
  • • check/clean fuel path (least likely);
  • • • check/soak/clean carb (most likely).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know if any of these will be the answer, but I will try them all. The reason I am stumped, is because at first it didn't kick in the ?powerband?, then it would for a while (throughout the winter months), and now I can't get it to kick into the powerband any more. I will try what you have suggested, & I am also going to look at the throttle limiter screw & make sure that is not an issue. It may be a while before I get back to you due to being busy with other projects. Thank you for your assistance & patience with my issue.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Great!

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just got an E-mail to rate the service so you get credit. I will do so once we resolve the issue. As I said before, I am very busy right now on the farm & will get back to the project when I have the extra time. I still don't think any of the suggestions you mentioned will help, as the 4-wheeler runs totally fine & smooth with no cutting out at all. I am just trying to figure out why the powerband is not kicking in anymore. Do you know how those are set up to work & if so, would you mind giving me a very brief overview to assist in thinking about the problem? Thank you.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your kind understanding of automated / systems generated messages.

The power band on all engines would be when/where there is maximum power on a particular RPM range. Thus, the engine has first to reach this RPM range:

• if not able to reach this RPM, then either an ignition issue (least likely) or fuel delivery/starvation (most likely);
  • if the engine is able to reach this RPM range but there is no power delivered by the wheels, then it would be a transmission/power train concern.