Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience
13948492

My wifes motorcycle is a Honda Shadow 2006 and we can get

Customer Question

my wifes motorcycle is a Honda Shadow 2006 and we can get the motorcycle started, with the choke out...but as soon as we give it gas or push the choke in the bike stalls...we have had the carb removed and fully cleaned and we do not have the knowledge as to what to do next
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: stalls at idle and the check engine light is off we cant even get the bike on the road since it stalls when giving gas
JA: Are you fixing your Shadow yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we tried taking to a local mechanic and they refused to help because the bike was over 6 years old...we had a buddy who lives in Florida, who used to work on bikes, clean the entire carb from top to bottom we checked the plugs and are getting sparks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: other than we have fully drained the tank and replaced with new gas..we even added sea foam to help clear things up and this did not happen till after the last winter season when the bike would just work correctly
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, it would appear to be a fuel delivery/starvation (most likely) issue.

Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • check spark plug burn color;
  • • verify air box + filter are fitted correctly with no air leak/air entry only through the designated air box opening;
  • • ensure contents of carb bowl is sufficient;
  • • test fuel pump output pressure (depending on the version).
  • • for test purposes, temporarily disconnect the voltage regulator and run/rev engine (with a fully charged battery).