Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

Well I kust bought a 2002 yamaha vino scooter. I had to

Customer Question

Well I kust bought a 2002 yamaha vino scooter. I had to clean the carb it was filthy,.hadnt neen run in couple years, anyway finally got it started but I can only keep it running sometimes by putting my fingrs over the air intake on the air filter it keeps bogging out and when I tried driving it the only time I could take off is when I fingered it, also my petcock is leaking had bad, could that be my problem
JA: When was the last time the filter was replaced? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: I dont believe there is a filter on the line, itvonly had 818 miles on it, but there was hella crap in the carburatir
JA: What is the model of your '02 motorcycle?
Customer: 5ly5-010
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes im doing it all I just cant figure out why it sounds like a vacuum leak, I checked the unit that attaches the carb ti the exhaust, it is hella cracked but I plugged one end and blew in it and its air tight
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My petcick is leaking hella though
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi Joshua, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you drained and cleaned tank then replaced with fresh fuel ?

A vacuum leak would almost always result to an uncontrollable high idle. Thus the described "...keep it running sometimes by putting my fingrs over the air intake..." would indicate fuel starvation and/or restricted fuel flow or in some instances, even an air leak.

And significantlly, the "...petcick is leaking..." may very well be constributing to the poor fuel flow.

Have you soaked the carb parts in cleaning solution? ...all flakes/varnish like dried gasoline residue removed? ...from the slow jets?