Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

I have a 1998 honda shadow 1100 aero I'm working on it for a

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1998...
Hi I have a 1998 honda shadow 1100 aero
I'm working on it for a friend of my dads and am really getting frustrated
So in a short form here's what happened, he was having problems with it shutting off randomly, he replaced the starter solenoid and Plug as he though the plug was messed up. Come to find out there were some wires rubbing on the battery box arcing out so we fixed that got it to start a couple times and then it wouldn't start again when I hit the start button the headlight just dims and I get nothing to the starter solenoid
I have replaced the handle bar switch with a new oem, the starter solenoid , the clutch dioide, the complete engine harness from a used tested working one, new battery, new fuel pump relay, got it all back together fired up perfect first shot, shut it down went to start it again and no start same issue getting nothing when I hit the start button and I have it in neutral and the kill switch on,
I have checked for continuity in neutral on the neutral safety switch and I have continuity in neutral and not in any other gears
Battery is brand new and charged
The problem I have narrowed it down to I seem is that I'm getting no peer to the yellow/red wire that goes to the solenoid plug which should be from the starter button if I remember correct
Also under the tank where the starter button and kill switch plugs plug into the harness I'm not getting any signal out of that yellow/red wire
Can some one shed some light on this problem please
Thanks,Steve
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
9/3/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi Steve, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, preliminary considerations (if have not been factored in):

• shutting off randomly - check / clean / bypass the side stand switch;
  • hit the start button the headlight just dims - to my recollection, the headlight should actually turn OFF;
  • replaced the handle bar switch - sorry, but which switch please?
  • yellow/red wire...from the starter button - agree.

Proposed checks (if have not been done):

• • determine and post back what are the wire colors to the handle bar switch connector where the yellow/red is;
  • • 1 of these wires would have an IGN+12V when ignition switch is turned On;
  • • then another wire would have a +12V when kill switch is set to RUN;
  • • then the yellow/red would have a +12V when START button is pressed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All set I fixed the problem already you were to late , it said you were online when I sent the question

Great! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

And apologies for the delay; was and am mobile with sporadic / sluggish Internet if at all.

Louie, Technician