Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

Yamaha royalstar rear needle bearing correct installation,

Customer Question
needle bearing has built in...
yamaha royalstar rear needle bearing correct installation, needle bearing has built in seal, does seal end of bearing go inner first or does it face out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also the inner race for needle bearing has a taper on one end, does taperend face in or face out
Answered in 1 day by:
9/1/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 1 year ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am not sure which needle bearing you are asking about. Are you asking about the ones that the swing arm pivot on or the ones for the shock linkage?

Here is a diagram so if you could let me know which ones you are talking about, I would be glad to help you.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/riva_normal/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=yamahamc&a=413&b=23&c=0&d=1996%20XVZ%201300%20A%20ROYAL%20STAR%20ARM%20-%20REAR

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry Rob, the needle bearing is actually in the rear wheel on left side which is the drive side
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I ment Bob

Thank you for the additional information.

Are the tapered end of the needle bearing and the seal on opposite ends of the bearing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the needle bearing has a seal in only one end,
and the inner race/collar has a taper on only one end

OK,

The seal would be installed so it is towards the outside of the wheel, and the taper on the inner race would go in first, towards the inside.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
see attached photo i have of a wheel of same description, needle bearing is in this side, but in photo yoy can not see the built in seal
Image4.gifImage4.gif20021115-rear_wheel_bear...jpg2002111...jpg20021115-rear_wheel_bear...jpg2002111...jpgImage1.gifImage1.gif

The seals are installed to keep dirt, water and debris on the outside. In simplest terms, think of an axle with one bearing on each end, pressed into the hub of a wheel. The seals would both be facing out so nothing could get in to the bearings from either side.

The one pic you sent that you could see the needle bearing was showing the inner end of it. The seal on the other side of what is pictured would prevent the water, dirt and debris from getting into the needle bearing, and the seal on the other side of the hub would protect it from the other end.

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Bob, have attached an exploded view of rear wheel, i have read what you say about seals, in this case there is 2 x seals which is one eithet side plus the one that is inbuilt to one end of needle bearing, so rhat would mean the left side has 2 seals to prevent dust etc, as you can see in picture the parts i am talking about are as follows
4 : needle bearing but in this drawing you can not see the seal on one end.
5: inner race/collar.
8: left dust seal
6 : right side bearing
7: right side dust seal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/50043abff8700209bc78d0cc/rear-wheel
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you work it out as yet?

Honestly, I do not understand what you are asking me nor do I understand why you keep asking the same question. All parts diagrams are the same, and I have looked at them during the course of our interaction. What is it specifically that you are unsure about that is preventing you from installing the bearing? I consulted the factory service manual on your bike and they make no mention of any special procedure that would indicate this is anything other than a typical bearing exchange. Based on the diagrams and service manual, the information I provided for you is accurate. Perhaps think of the needle bearing being installed by pressing it in from the side that has the seal on it. Does that make more sense?

Customerbr />
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic