Motorcycle

Motorcycle Questions? Ask a Mechanic.

Motorcycle

The bike wont turn over and the headlights wont turn on, yes

Customer Question
the bike wont turn over...
the bike wont turn over and the headlights wont turn on
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: yes they are all good my main problem is that it wont start
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: it attempts to turn on but wont turn over 2005 hnda cbr 600
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fix this my self and I checked the fuses and that's it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no I believe that's it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Motorcycle
8/24/2016
Motorcycle Mechanic: Louie, Technician replied 1 year ago
Louie, Technician

Hi, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried having the battery externally charged? ...and then load tested?

When attempting to start and even if "...wont turn over...", is there a clicking sound?

If considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, do you have access to and familiar with a volt/multi-meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bike attempts to start and yes I have a bolt/multi-meter

Great on the DIY!

Let's review the basics so as to determine which area needs further tests. Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done) would be to remove the spark plugs after attempting a start:

• • determine if the fuel pump would prime;
  • • check if the plugs got wet with fuel;
  • • carefully perform a spark test;
  • • and listen if the injectors are clicking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel pumps won't prime or at least I don't hear it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which plugs? How do I preform a spark test and the injectors or clicking

I understand.

And on:

• Fuel pumps won't prime - did the bike fell?
  • Which plugs - all;
  • How do I preform a spark test - click HERE;
  • and the injectors or clicking - with the engine turning, all the injectors should be clicking.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The bike did not fall and all the injectors are working

Based on "...Fuel pumps won't prime...", have you checked the bank angle sensor?

And tested for +12V supplied to the fuel pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked the sensor and nor the +12v to the pumps
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But would that cause the head light to go out too

To my recollection on this model, the headlights would turn on only if the engine is running or has run.

Were you able to check if the plugs got wet with fuel?

Let's focus on "...Fuel pumps won't prime...":

• check the bank angle sensor (BAS);
  • for test purposes, temporarily disconnect BAS connector and perform a bypass;
  • test for IGN+12V supplied to the brown wire feeding the fuel pump;
  • check for sparks.

Please post back results / observations of the above once done.

Louie, Technician