RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Service Manager, General Manager, Store Owner
10825618

I have a 2004 1700 yamaha roadstar. I've had it two years

Customer Question

I have a 2004 1700 yamaha roadstar. I've had it two years and it has 32000 miles. A few wks back I started to get a whistle like sound that starts at certain rpms. If you let off the throttle it goes away. At it's peak it's kinda loud. It's seems to be coming from the front, high part of the engine. Near the rocker arms. Any ideas? How serious could this be if it continues? Thanks. DAN
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 11 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

I have a couple of questions for you.

First, how sure are you that it is in the area of the rocker arms? I have heard similar complaints to the noise but never in the area of the rockers.

Has anything been done to the bike recently that might affect this noise?

Does it matter if the bike is hot or the ambient temp is high?Let me know about those items and we can go from there.

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It seems to be high and in the front, but noise can be hard to pin point. Just had a new clutch put in and it started shortly after. It gets louder as it warms up. In the beginning you didn't hear it until it warmed up.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

One more question for now. Does the bike have to be rolling/ being ridden to hear the noise?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, you can hear it in neutral standing still. I got a few guys together last night and it seems I was wrong about the location. Everyone thinks it's in the stator or new clutch area. Does that help?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 11 months ago.

Yes.

Logically, if the clutch were just worked on and it developed a noise it never had before, the clutch would be the first place to investigate. I would suggest removing the clutch cover and inspecting the clutch assembly. It sounds like something is loose and rubbing under there, quite possibly the clutch basket itself. Also, since we are starting to narrow down the possibilities, exactly what pieces were replaced when the clutch was worked on?

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The whole clutch. All the plates and springs. It was ordered for clutch replacement. Cost around 160.00.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

OK, so no inner hub or outer basket. Any bearings, bushing or washers?

Who did the work on the clutch? Was this something you did yourself? Have you pulled the clutch back apart to inspect it for problems?

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The job was done by a local bike shop. It cost about 380.00.The work was done by a local bike shop. It cost about 380.00. It's back there now but he hasn't got to it yet. After putting about 300 miles on it and the noise getting louder I figured I probably shouldn't ride it any more. The kit itself cost 160.00. I figured iy was all the inner parts. I will see him tomorrow.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I think you did the right thing. If the noise was not there before they worked on it and it is there now, it has to be related to the work they did.

Let me know what they say caused it, please. If they say something that doesn't make sense, let me know and I will sort it out whether they are telling you the truth of trying to cover their tracks.

Thanks

Customer/p>
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 10 months ago.

Any future questions at all, feel free to ask.

Thanks

Customer/p>