Steve
Steve, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience, MMI, HD technician, HD early, engine rebuild/performance, bike builder, kit bike program manager, CCI 2001-2004
11090168

2001 road king FLHRI wont start - no noise when I hit start

Customer Question

2001 road king FLHRI wont start - no noise when I hit start button - I hear fuel pump whine as normal but no noise to engage starter. Just installed new battery because the old one died. all fuses good, and I just installed new relays. didn't help
Pearl Wilson, Motorcycle Mechanic's Assistant
How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

it's possible your security system is armed because your FOB battery died.

replace the FOB battery. you should plan to do this annually.

if that does not resolve your issue, it's possible the dead motorcycle battery has caused the security system to revert to a theft deterrent mode.

if that is the case, the security system will have to be reset by a HD dealership with their maintenance computer.

you will have to show proof of ownership to have that done.

Steve

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My 2001 FLHRCI has key fob (non-proximity type), which works. Pressing it once long - sets alarm & I see flashers blink to indicate "alarm" set & I see red "key" symbol blink. Pressing key fob twice turns alarm off & red key symbol light on console goes away. Is there a separate "lockout" relay that operates independent of the key fob security alarm? If so, does that lockout the starter somehow but still allows fuel pump to whirl? And, how can I reset/clear this "additional?" security lockout (which would have to be independent of key fob?). I didn't know there was security system lockout that doesn't work with key fob (or manual override code using turn signals to enter 5 digit code). What else can you tell me on whether there is a lockout or not. Can you explain the connection (using jumpers) that I could make from my positive battery terminal to the starter, solenoid, whatever to see if the starter will work (and what the connection point/ terminal looks like on starter or solenoid?). Bike ran great before battery completely died over winter (only one year old). I really expected that I was ready to ride as soon as I dropped a new battery in again. Everything has worked fine before that & new battery is good. Just don't understand why absolutely nothing happens when hitting start switch as usually- it acts like I am not even pressing Start. I am desperate & frustrated what to do. I appreciate your time in helping me further any way you can. Please continue our diaglogue here or call my cell if you want.(###) ###-#### Bud
Expert:  Steve replied 11 months ago.

I am aware how your security system works. I am a Harley-Davidson electrical expert.

there is no lockout relay. the security system disables the starter by opening the ground to the relay coil.

as I already stated, when the bike battery died, the most likely thing that happened is that the security system defaulted to a theft deterrent mode in which the FOB is not able to disarm the system. this is a common problem with owners who allow the battery to die or if they take too long to change the battery.

the ONLY option you have is to take the bike to Harley so they can reset the security system with their maintenance computer plugged into your bike. they will require proof of ownership before hey will reset the security system.

there is a way to set the system before replacing the battery so this doesn't happen, but they won't offer you that information. they make too much money fixing it for you. you should invest in the factory manuals. service, parts and electrical diagnostics. they pay for themselves.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

let me know if you need more help.

if not, please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

thank you,

Steve