Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

When I go too pull out from a stop it wants to die. I

Customer Question

when I go too pull out from a stop it wants to die. I believe I ran the chock too long when this started. I have changed the spark plugs.
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: 11,000 miles changed the plugs today
JA: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?
Customer: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, changed plugs. wires will require removing gas tank. may try fuel and air filter. I just lost my job so I cant just throw money at it till its fixed.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: its no longer running smoothly...ie timing/ misfiring
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you fro your question.

There is no point in replacing the spark plug wires. That is a one in a million shot that they have failed.

What did the old spark plugs look like when you took them out?

Did this problem show up all of a sudden or had the bike been sitting for awhile and wouldn't run right after that? Please provide all the details about how long it has been doing it, how long it has been since it ran correctly, Has it been serviced or repaired recently for any reason, when was the last time routine maintenance was performed on it?

Do you have an inductive timing light? We need to figure out whether it is an electrical issue, fuel supply or mechanical issue.

Thanks

Customer/p>