Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Motorcycle Mechanic
Experience:  Yamaha Gold, Suzuki Gold, Honda Bronze, Polaris Bronze, BRP
17258690

I have a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak with electrical issues. When I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak with electrical issues. When I shift into park or neutral the corresponding lights do not always come on. Sometimes I have to shift in and out of neutral numerous times before it will engage. I replaced the neutral position switch and the park position switch, but now I get no light at all in either of those positions. The reverse light has come on consistently all the time. What do I look at next.
Category: Motorcycle
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Hi Jeff and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried?:

• • test if the wires to neutral switch and the park switch carries +12V;
  • • check/clean the engine and frame ground strap/wire.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, I have not checked for +12 V to the switches yet. Roughly where will I find the ground strap?
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

Yes please; if not in park and/or not in neutral, there would be a +12V on the wires to the switches respectively.

The ground strap/wire would normally be black. First check and trace/follow the big wire from the battery's - terminal.

Please post back results / observations of the above once checked.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am not currently working on the ATV. I am inquiring from a different location. How long do I have to check this out before I pay? Believe me I will be more than happy to pay the agreed $24 if your answers help to solve my problem.
Expert:  Louie replied 12 months ago.

I understand and no prob.

Post back with an update on these checks when able. I would then be prompted to view and reply.